This helpful checklist appears in Librarian's Guide to Genealogical Research by James Swan on page 23 & 24. This book is available in the Indiana/Genealogy Room at Lake County Public Library under GEN 929.1072073 SWAN.
- Did the person who created the record have personal knowledge of the event being recorded?
- How long after the event was it recorded?
- Why was the record made?
- Does the book or register have an index?
- What is the potential for error?
- Can you read the document?
- Can the information be verified?
- What is the possibility that the person who gave the information was lying?